The temperature has dropped, the wind has picked up and it’s starting to rain (a bit more)…yes Winter is just around the corner.
With more clothing layer and central heating your skin is going to start getting dry, chapped tight, but there are some ways in which you can protect your skin.
- Don’t panic if your skin is starting to misbehave in cooler temperatures! The knee jerk reaction is to throw everything onto your skin to help calm it down, but remember that saying, less is more? Strip back to basics if you are experiencing sensitive skin. This can mean simply cleansing with a mild cleanser and moisturising with a light oil or light face cream. Build up the products if you have to, but by doing this gradually you will be able to easily tell which products are making your skin feel worse and you can then take them out of your normal skincare routine.
- Hydrate from the inside. This is a rule as old as time in that water keeps your body and therefore your skin hydrated. Why not swap one cup of coffee from your day to green tea which is rich in anti-inflammatory properties and great for getting rid of toxins from your body. You can also use a hydrating cleansing routine. Your skin should feel comfortable after washing, if it feels tight it’s likely you aren’t using the right product for your skin because if it feels uncomfortable the chances are you just disrupted your very delicate skin barrier. Try a cleansing balm like the SEB Gel Oil Milk Cleanser.
- Protect your skin barrier by layering with thicker creams and balms. This can be done at night as a treatment to protect your skin and it also acts as a barrier to keep water locked inside the skin. Try SEB customer favourite SEB Apothecary Healing Balm.
- We might be lucky enough to have a glimpse of the sunshine during winter months, but even if it’s cloudy don’t skip on sunscreen. The sun, especially during the winter has more UVA rays which are low energy sun rays but can still damage the skin deeper in the skin layers. My favourite go to is the Vichy Capital Soleil Anti-Ageing 3-in-1 Sun Protection Cream SPF50. It’s suitable for sensitive skin and is enriched with Vitamin C and Black Tea which makes my complexion look and feel great. It is also non greasy – bonus! You can purchase this from Boots (in the UK).
- Protect your lips with a hydrating lip balm or butter. Don’t be tempted to lick your lips if they are dry. Try the SEB Hydrating Lip Butter which has been formulated to give a whole day of protection and hydration.
- If your heels get dry during the winter then exfoliate them, pop some healing balm on them and some soft fluffy socks to help to seal in moisture and stop you from slipping on the floor! Try the SEB Bamboo & Sweet Orange Cleansing Scrub Bar and the SEB Apothecary Healing Balm.
- You have just got home after battling the stuffy, smelly train, you walked home and you either forgot your umbrella or it decided to do a back flip and broke so your hair is all over the place – you finally get home and decide to take a long hot bath! Pop some moisturising and relaxing bath bombs into the water and let your skin soak up all the soothing goodness. Try the Lavender & Coconut Milk Drops and that painful journey home will be a distant memory.
If you need any targeted skin advice then please use the contact button or leave a comment below!